Night Sight on the Pixel 3 IS that special!

Last week Adam outlined why he thinks all the hype around Night Sight on Google’s Pixel 3 is overblown – Mike takes the opposing view, saying that Google’s low-light mode is the best low-light camera he’s ever used. He also believes that it consistently snaps pictures that are better than either the competition or non-Night Sight enhanced pics.

Watch Adam’s take here: https://youtu.be/0owK6MVv0_M

Follow PCWorld for all things PC!
——————————­—-
SUBSCRIBE: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=PCWorldVideos
FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/PCWorld/
TWITTER: https://www.twitter.com/pcworld
TWITCH: https://www.twitch.tv/pcworldus
WEBSITE: http://www.pcworld.com

22 thoughts on “Night Sight on the Pixel 3 IS that special!

• December 8, 2018 at 17:26

It's not exactly the best.If you think about in terms of Night "Sight", ok, it's the best, but for Night "Photography" maybe isn't the best. We have to make this distinction, this isn't a Night Mode.

• December 8, 2018 at 18:00

Well glad you mentioned it.

That adam guy does camera comparison in a very wrong way. He takes dynamic range,exposure,color accuracy and details all one by one differently and not all in a single account. I mean to judge a particular photo you need to check all the aspects mentioned above 'simultaneously' in a photo and then determine the best photo. Dynamic range,color accuracy and exposure are 'more' important than details when taking a photo with smartphone because you want a ready made picture. They must be given more importance afterall most consumers view photo on a phone and not pixel peep so much. If you want to give details more weightage then go for a dslr (where you need to manually set the exposure,color,etc.).

• December 8, 2018 at 18:18

Calm down Huawei has been doing this for year but with less noise

• December 8, 2018 at 18:22

I agree with your review it is a fantastic feature. At this time, 31 Likes and 1 Adam dislike. lol

• December 8, 2018 at 18:40

Night sight is absolutely awesome. I m using it on my Google Pixel 1. Great to see Google supporting their old devices as well.

• December 8, 2018 at 19:04

From the pictures, articles and videos I've seen in comparisons, I tend to agree with you that Google's implementation of Night Sight mode is the best, and it should be because the lead technology expert on the whole night sight technology (Marc Levoy) works at Google and is in charge of perfecting the technology. This means Google's implementation of night sight mode will only keep getting better and better.

• December 8, 2018 at 19:22

I prepare the photo that makes the night time looks like a real night time than the photo that makes the night time looks like a dusk/dawn time. I still agree with Adam.

• December 8, 2018 at 20:02

Fire him. He's dead wrong 100% !! I was asking him if he use the DSLR camera + tripod and take a long exposure photo. Will it look natural? Natural here means darkness and cannot see lolz at his logic

• December 8, 2018 at 20:12

I never thought I'd hear a phone feature review by Ray Romano…. Close your eyes and listen. Haha

Oh and you're right Ray, night sight rocks.

• December 8, 2018 at 20:18

It would be even more awesome if people would abandon the belief that there needs to be a streetlight in front of every house.

• December 8, 2018 at 20:22

полный пиздеж сравнить матрицу гугл пиксель и хуавей при всех прочих равных а именно с учетом цены хуавей лудше!

• December 8, 2018 at 20:30

ok, once again, you take a very high perspective. thats fine, if you really just care for a bright picture to make things visible you wouldn't see otherwise.

let me make a comparison:
    – Adam: the nutritional value of this muffin is very low, it will feed you for a time, but its not unique, new or special. also, there are some hard chunks in it you won't like.
    – You: i'm hungry…i only care for something to eat…this muffin is the best right now! hard chunks, nutritional value? listen…i'm hungry…

both views have their merrit, but as a nerd i do like to go into detail more. everything tastes good if you are starved, but thats usually not the metric we use to determine good food.

• December 8, 2018 at 21:17

After watching various PC World content where Adam opens his mouth, whatever comes out is most often wrong.

This is no exception.

• December 8, 2018 at 22:47

Hmmm… Was APM being too critical???
    Dissention Always ads to the entertainment.

• December 8, 2018 at 23:42

I've used night sight on my Pixel 1 since it was a rogue APK, and was in absolute awe of it then. Later, Google brought it out as a supported upgrade to my couple years old phone, and I'm even more in awe. I have taken photos in borderline darkness that have turned out stunning. I have a friend who is a devout Apple fanboy, and he has conceded what the Pixel can do in low light blows out of the water what his phone can do (his is a year newer too!)! The implementation is a bit cumbersome I will concede, but that is spit and polish, not a concession on the amazing technology at work in the phone.