The Ups And Downs Of Hori’s Switch Joy-Con

After spending time with Hori’s Joy-Con, we chat about how the D-pad controller brings both good and bad changes to the Nintendo Switch.

Watch more GameSpot at the Office:

Subscribe to GameSpot! http://youtube.com/GameSpot?sub_confirmation=1

Shop the official GameSpot Store! https://shop.gamespot.com

40 thoughts on “The Ups And Downs Of Hori’s Switch Joy-Con

• August 18, 2018 at 22:15

Nintendo needs to fix the pro controllers d pad, it’s straight awful. As a lover of games like Tetris and Mega Man this system has been a total headache. I currently use a PS4 or snes controller on my Switch.

• August 18, 2018 at 22:17

In all fairness the xbox one d-pad is pretty good. Reminds me of the 3ds d-pad [also good]

Gba d-pad is one of my personal favorites.

• August 18, 2018 at 22:18

Its really bad. Thats all you need to know. I bought one. Used it for a while. Its really cheap feeling and low qu as lity. You need to turn vibration off cuz only 1 controller has it so it throws you off. It used to drain my battery really quickly. Honestly the buttons on the standard d pad are better than this junk.

• August 18, 2018 at 22:32

Ya'll are tripping. The Switch Pro Controller D Pad is great! My favorite Dpad though is definitely PlayStation.

• August 18, 2018 at 22:45

The Nintendo dpad patent expired years ago… That's why the Xbox one can have a plus sign shaped dpad

• August 18, 2018 at 22:52

I would not trust anything that drains the Switch's battery like that. I even heard some Switches no longer charging because of it. I would wait until Nintendo makes an official joycon dpad solution or maybe try to swap the inside of a real joyon into this one. Nintendo needs to make a left joycon that replaces the left analog stick with am 8 way, Sega Saturn type dpad and keep the buttons. A dpad can still work well in 3D games (as the Sega Saturn Controller demonstrated).

• August 18, 2018 at 22:56

I would absolutely get the Hori joycon, but the idea of having 3rd party in my left and 1st in my right would kill my brain… I want nintendo to make an official one that matches the colour of my right joycon perfectly

• August 18, 2018 at 23:10

My favorite D-Pad will always be the PS Vita D-Pad. Probably the greatest, most perfect D-Pad I’ve ever used. Great for playing fighting games and various PSP games.

• August 18, 2018 at 23:13

I personally don't realy use the d pad for platformers anymore because of how huge my fingers are

• August 18, 2018 at 23:17

I regret having bought a Pro controller. SF 30th anniversary is unplayable with the D-pad. As an example, try to pull off Cammy's Spin Knuckle.

• August 18, 2018 at 23:35

You should have made this when it came out and your video is really boring 😠😡

• August 18, 2018 at 23:45

The xbox one d-pad is currently the best d-pad. It clicks and it is responsive. Nintendo d-pads has been the worst for a while now (since the OG NDS), because they are so fucking small.

• August 19, 2018 at 00:23

why does the purple shirt guy talk like that?? its fucking annoying as hell.

• August 19, 2018 at 00:37

Unless its has official Nintendo approval, I don't trust 3rd Party Peripherals for the Switch. I learned that lesson the hard way when my brother's Nyko charge stand brick'd our Switch.

• August 19, 2018 at 00:52

It also needs an operating system for a dock. Handhelds are worth more.

• August 19, 2018 at 00:52

Ouch my thumb!! Bunch of guys talkin' 'bout boo boo thumbs, and still no feature covering Prey Mooncrash. Pathetic.

• August 19, 2018 at 01:22

You know..these spontaneous watercooler conversations that you guys are going for nowadays feel a little bit like those overexplanatory Ubisoft multiplayer videos they use at game shows. Gotta say I'm not a fan – form, not content.

• August 19, 2018 at 01:31

I really dont think it would be that big of a deal if one player would have to use the dpad as buttons in single joycon mode. i have played plenty of games that use the dpad as buttons and not directional input and it works fine and i never have an issue of knowing which i am pressing, in fact its easier to know without looking what u are pressing because they all have a distinct shape if they are connected where as they are all just circles if not connected. i think it would have been the better trade off.

• August 19, 2018 at 01:35

I love clicky dpads, especially the xbox one dpad, u know when your pressing those buttons.

• August 19, 2018 at 01:41

Also because this video barely has any comments, didn't every other news site and channel do this like 2 weeks ago? you guys are a little late to the party.

• August 19, 2018 at 02:10

I never got accidental inputs with the switch d-pad.

• August 19, 2018 at 02:12

Nintendo no longer has the patent to the D-Pad. That's why the Xbox One has it, and the 360 didn't.

• August 19, 2018 at 03:16

On the opening discussion, my favourite D-pad actually comes from a handheld: the Vita! It was a click to it to let you know when you're inputting a command, but because it has an overall dish shape, it means your thumb can naturally roll around it for more omni-directional movement, like swimming in Rayman Origins (which is where I fell in love with it). Oh, and unlike on Switch and XBO, it's in the correct position. : )

• August 19, 2018 at 04:01

Actually it's more like DreamCast Controller is more made for fighting games.
    PS4, PSVITA and XBox One has good D-Pads! Wish there were more fighting games on PSVITA. Besides BlazBlue.
    I thinking the Switch D-Pad is better for fighting games. Now if Nintendo made a right Joy Con with no Analog Stick.

• August 19, 2018 at 06:30

Everyone wants to replace the dpad for the joycon. I feel like they just need to make surface of the joycon itself smoother, so dragging over the buttons is less strenuous over time.