Is Beyond Good & Evil As Good As You Remember? | Nostalgia Trip

This week Jake and Jean-Luc look at the cult-classic action adventure game, Beyond Good & Evil.

Subscribe to GameSpot! http://youtube.com/GameSpot?sub_confirmation=1

Visit all of our channels:
Features & Reviews – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpot
Video Game Trailers – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotTrailers
Movies, TV, & Comics – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotUniverse
Gameplay & Guides – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotGameplay
Mobile Gaming – http://www.youtube.com/GameSpotMobile

Like – http://www.facebook.com/GameSpot
Follow – http://www.twitter.com/GameSpot

39 thoughts on “Is Beyond Good & Evil As Good As You Remember? | Nostalgia Trip

• August 11, 2018 at 16:33

I've finished the game for the first time 2 years ago. Never played it before. So no nostalgic feelings here… I think it's a very well crafted and polished game with kinda cinematic approach. It was way a head it's time in my opinion as a 30+ year old gamer.

• August 11, 2018 at 16:39

Very overated game played it years back when it was released … it was ok thats it. Surprised me that it became a cult

• August 11, 2018 at 16:39

I was never interested in this game when it released. Even just aesthetically, I found it unappealing. But then after so many years of being hammered over the head with how "good" it is, I located a cheap PS2 copy, gave it a try, and hated it for all the reasons I knew I'd hate it: The art/character styles (especially animal people), the camera mechanic, the lackluster combat, the 3D platforming/puzzle solving, the world building, mini games, etc. It was one of those rare games where there was nothing I liked. These days I take no stock in games others tell me are good. I know what I like/dislike, and there's no point wasting my time with something I know I don't want to play.

• August 11, 2018 at 16:44

You dare question this games status !!? It’s literally LEGENDARY. The best game in its time

• August 11, 2018 at 16:56

I found the game an incredible experience as someone who's first time was just a few months ago. I loved it then and I think it's an incredible game.

• August 11, 2018 at 17:00

Tried the HD remaster last year for the first time. Wasn't a fan, and stopped playing after a few hours. The new one looks pretty wild, though.

• August 11, 2018 at 17:05

Most games did not age well. The game itself is well made but does not hold up that well. For example Golden Eye will forever hold its position for what it did for level design and the FPS genre but it has not aged well at all. These games made head way but the point is nostalgia makes so many put past interestes on a pedestal to the point it is almost taboo to criticize it. As someone who has been gaming since the 90s I find it difficult to play through many older games I once loved and would play endlessly.

• August 11, 2018 at 17:11

Seems like a cool old game. I don't think I even heard of it tell well after its release si it was basically another box on the shelf at a GameStop. The beyond good and evil 2 trailers are some of the bette trailers I've seen so it's interesting to hear someone who's played the original to seem nervous or trepidatious about it.

• August 11, 2018 at 17:14

I never play this game either but I can appreciate the factor that it was a unique game with memorable characters and it was ahead of its time. Maybe I need to hunt down a copy of this.

• August 11, 2018 at 17:15

I remember loving this game in high school way back then on PS2, and hearing lots of talk about it recently it's mostly the feeling I've been able to recall. Thanks for the footage and good discussion, definitely brought the feeling back in more hi-def in my mind. Awesome video!

• August 11, 2018 at 17:34

For me, after playing two versions of the game, PS2 and PC (Steam). Yes it is. For those super critical of the so called "SocJus" and (bonus) follow alt-right politics? Stay away!

• August 11, 2018 at 17:52

Bg&e is delicious to play, has a unique feel and great pacing to it’s gameplay and story. And visually it still holds up with a timeless art direction, which unfortunately they seem to have abandoned in the sequel for a more gritty and realistic approach that is likely to get old faster.

• August 11, 2018 at 18:08

"Is Call of Duty as good as you remember it?"
    No. Call of Duty was never good. While I could pick any number of modern games to illustrate my point, Call of Duty is simply the poster child of the prevailing attitudes of most games today. Games that are big, loud, expensive and all about the now, the instant gratification. Kudos to those who enjoy such things.
    Games like Beyond Good and Evil are the reasons I play games. You could say things like "Oh this minigame is bad" or "Oh this element is basic" or "This game has better graphics", but it doesn't matter. There are games out there where the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts. Beyond Good and Evil is such a game. Ico is like that too. Instead of being like games that reward immediacy, the visceral, or a drive for scores or loot, there are games that unfold with an eye for a broader sense of feelings and passions. The individual parts of such a game don't stand up to clinical scrutiny, but added together and they reward a player's willingness to sink themselves into the world the game has laid out before him.

• August 11, 2018 at 18:10

One of the best games I played on ps2. Can't forget bulder Gates, resident evil code Veronica and street fighter ex these are the first games that comes to my mind.

• August 11, 2018 at 18:17

Why people nowadays like to over criticize things?

• August 11, 2018 at 18:39

A few months ago, I decided to play it again, never having finished it during my childhood. You could say the gameplay isn't anything special, and I'd agree. But the gameplay is not why I like it so much and remember it so fondly. It's Jade, Pey'j. It's the characters and the world. And I do feel both of those have kind of missing in what I've seen of BGE 2.

• August 11, 2018 at 19:29

Game of my childhood ice been waiting for the sequel since the beggining

• August 11, 2018 at 19:39

please ubisoft port the hd version to the switch

• August 11, 2018 at 19:45

As someone who’s been gaming since 1988, I was always disappointed with early 3D games. When I first got my hands on the PS1 and the N64, I noticed the horrible gameplay, clunky controls, and crap graphics…even at age 13! I understood the tech limitations and that it wasn’t gonna feel as smooth as games I played on the NES/SNES/Genesis. The PS3/360 era was when devs started to get things right!

• August 11, 2018 at 19:50

Hope you enjoyed this episode! Next week we will be talking about Half-Life! If there are any other games you'd like us to look at, leave it in the comments below.

• August 11, 2018 at 20:09

im playing it right now on superior PC. i wish i could play it in 4k but this old ass game wont go 4k.

• August 11, 2018 at 21:03

I played it for the first time two months ago and found it very very good, can't wait for BGE2

• August 11, 2018 at 21:27

Honestly I miss this Ubisoft. Back when they didn't constantly churn out open world shit.

• August 11, 2018 at 22:23

This game was more or less the precursor to the AAA game we'd see now with all the random stuff the put in. I do think this game handles it better than those games though. It has better stealth than any Assassin's Creed lol.

• August 11, 2018 at 23:25

is it possible to get the hd version on pc? or is it only available on consoles

• August 11, 2018 at 23:49

Some people need heavy duty bolt cutters to remove their nostalgia goggles.