The iMac Pro is a beast (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy, Ep. 114)

Net neutrality is dead, the iMac Pro brings power with no expansion, and what will the Apple-Dhazam partnership bring?

The iMac Pro isn’t for everyone (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy Podcast, Ep. 114): https://www.cnet.com/news/the-imac-pro-isnt-for-everyone-apple-byte-extra-crunchy-podcast-ep-114/

Subscribe to CNET: http://cnet.co/2heRhep
Check out our playlists: http://cnet.co/2g8kcf4
Download the new CNET app: https://cnet.app.link/GWuXq8ExzG
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cnet
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/cnet
Follow us on Instagram: http://bit.ly/2icCYYm

34 thoughts on “The iMac Pro is a beast (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy, Ep. 114)

• December 15, 2017 at 20:21

Im in apple ecosystem and I have been using iPhone for quite sometime now but I wonder sometimes if these new products which such high price justify the buggy software. my iPhone 7 plus on iOS 11 is very bad, so is true of my iMac , I got this iMac in February and with all these recent security flaws in macOS high Sierra I just don't think its negelectable.

• December 15, 2017 at 21:01

I dont know why your Face ID is like that I can unlock mine even while it's laying flat on a table. Maybe you should try setting it up again.

• December 15, 2017 at 21:06

Why are You not mentioning the upgrade for Logic Pro X? It still holds up as one of the best DAW out there and one of the industry standards.

• December 15, 2017 at 21:15

I think this thing is so future proof, that by the time you would want to upgrade it, it’s time to just buy something else anyway. I’m talking 5 to 10 years.

It isn’t even geared at individuals, but businesses dealing in the arts.

• December 15, 2017 at 21:33

How are you old enough to know about BETA vs VHS? lol

• December 15, 2017 at 21:59

WE GOT congressman from NYC who will have a bill out soon.

• December 15, 2017 at 23:16

Why are you so hung ho for the gov’t to regulate the Internet. They will ultimately screw it up with their greedy eyes on taxing it and regulating it to expand their power. They did not build it into what it is and they are clueless on how it works. Keep them away and let the free market keep working.

• December 15, 2017 at 23:26

(Net Neutrality) Congress has to vote on it 1st …so chill till that happens…congress can stop it

• December 15, 2017 at 23:49

yeah. face id dont unlock for me 1/3 of the time!!! it sucks to use my pin!!! i want touch id! if iphone x touch id i would disable face id!

• December 16, 2017 at 00:01

Touch ID only worked about 25% of the time with me, I hated it. Face ID works about 90% of the time, I love it.

• December 16, 2017 at 00:26

When you get a message and your face is halfway buried in the pillow in the middle of the night, Touch ID is better.

• December 16, 2017 at 00:52

I am Pro but poor. I want to use iMac Pro for my Blender Sushi project.

• December 16, 2017 at 01:12

If Face ID is so bad why do you have the iPhone X? Get the 8 or 8 plus
    My iPhone X Face ID works all the time

• December 16, 2017 at 01:41

You are vastly misinformed on net neutrality. You should do your own research.

• December 16, 2017 at 01:45

Omg. The factually incorrect statements in this video are atrocious! Net neutrality WAS a regulation. All yourself why cell providers have come so far in the last 3 years compared to the stagnant growth of ISPs. Or that net neutrality HURTS small business. The hysteria, and fear mongering is ridiculous.

• December 16, 2017 at 02:33

I'll just do business with companies that don't care about money then like Apple

• December 16, 2017 at 08:10

If Apple adds Face ID to the iPad, will it go on the portrait side or the landscape side? I was just thinking about how I keep my iPad in landscape pretty much all the time since I have a keyboard attached. If Apple puts the sensor on the shorter side of the tablet, I would have to constantly twist myself or the tablet 90 degrees to authenticate. Either that, or they'll have to enhance the sensor to recognize a face in landscape and portrait orientations. Its less of an issue on the iPhone, but could get pretty annoying on the iPad.

• December 16, 2017 at 08:27

touch ID IS FOR Me 100%

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻✌️

• December 16, 2017 at 09:01

Brian since you talking about greed why is CBS charging to watch shows on their app , NBC , FOX and ABC don't . please stick to the topic APPLE … before the election I stop watching CNET keep it up and I will stop for good

• December 16, 2017 at 11:05

AMD Ryzen 7 and Threadripper have been trouncing intel cpu for a while now. More PCI lane, consume less power, a lot less money.
    Nvidia is exponentially better than AMD GPU. Why apple chose Intel cpu and AMD gpu is beyond comprehension.
    $8,000 (18 cores, 32gb RAM, 1tb ssd, Vega 64) for a machine is good at one thing: Final Cut is ludacris.
    And I bet if Apple ever release this application for windows, it will run better on a Windows machine.
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X + GTX 1080 ti ($1,650) plus mobo, ram, ssd, monitor ($1,000) = and you get a beast of a machine that is better than this imac pro 99.9% at everything else: Adobe, CAD, Gaming.

• December 16, 2017 at 11:57

There are many different types of pro users….many of them will simply spec out the machine they want and use it for the next five years. They won't need to add anything inside the box until it is time to replace it. Those who really need to upgrade during the cycle, will buy the other machine coming in 2018. Not everything is an issue to be hawking about on youtube, unless you need something to hawk about on youtube.

• December 16, 2017 at 14:59

How many people touch your phone every day? But how many people look at your phone every day? Just saying 🤔

• December 16, 2017 at 18:09

The imacpro ram is upgradeable but only at the apple store, probably won't be able to supply your own ram so will be with the apple tax and likely cost more than if you brought it with more ram. You could do it yourself but that would void warranty.

• December 17, 2017 at 03:07

£12280 for a maxed out iMac pro None upgradable
    £12280 for my brand new Mini Cooper,that's with £2000 discount .

• December 17, 2017 at 06:45

I have the same experience with face ID as you said Brian.

• January 25, 2018 at 13:09

Um, you can upgrade RAM if you didn't buy it with max. RAM, you just have to get Apple to do the install.

Secondly, most REAL pros buy a Maxed out computer to begin with, and if you need PCI cards?  Buy an external Thunderbolt PCI chassis.  You need more storage?  Buy an external Thunderbolt storage, or buy a combo that has both RAID and PCI slots.