Is downdraft ventilation a worthy upgrade?

Watch more from the CNET Smarthome – http://cnet.co/1PrRJzg
The KitchenAid KSEG950ESS electric slide-in range includes a downdraft ventilation system designed to eliminate smoke from stovetop cooking. It’s not perfect, but the system makes this $3,149 range stand out.

16 thoughts on “Is downdraft ventilation a worthy upgrade?

• October 14, 2015 at 01:15

Great job Ashlee. Very well covered. Too much money for most consumers I would think.

• October 14, 2015 at 01:16

A company named "bora" makes much better looking downdraft ventilation systems!

• October 14, 2015 at 06:38

Can you do a review on some Wolf and Subzero appliances. There aren't any proper review of those companies on youtube.

• October 14, 2015 at 07:05

The best ones are the standalone overhead ventilation units. And they should be in the vicinity of ~300 ft^3/h I bellieve. In my old house, we have a microwave with a built in ventilation unit and it sucked balls and the smoke would eventually trigger the smoke alarms in the house. Which in a house where everybody had variable work hours (such as someone working nights) it would suddenly wake them up. Plus if you are buying an oven, get a gas oven, trust me been using an electric for a long time and just switched to gas, and will never go back after this.

• October 14, 2015 at 09:46

What if you spilled something into the vent? I feel like it'd make a mess!

• October 14, 2015 at 22:53

I used to work for " Hobarts " which back in the day owned "Kitchen Aid " But that was about 40 years ago !!!

• March 11, 2018 at 22:41

I have a minimalist kitchen with an open island cooktop. i chose a Kenmore downdraft (gas) after using one for 16 years with zero problems. (It was about 30% less.) Don't get more than you need! (This applies to computers, cars or appliances.) I cook bacon in the oven, rarely fry and have three grills so it's minimal. For heavy use get an overhead vent.

• April 18, 2018 at 06:42

I HATE JER AIR. THEIR N EW COMMERCIAL IS MORE LIKE AN ADVERTISEMENT FOR A PROSTITUTION WEBSITE. REDTUBE. DISGUSTING.