27 thoughts on “Car Tech – 2012 VW Golf R

• July 27, 2013 at 04:20

Pretty much the only downside I can see with a Golf R is the steep price tag. Lowest level trim of R is like $4k-5k more expensive than the highest level of trim with the GTI. Yes you get AWD and a bit more horsepower, but that's it. Not to mention the fact that you could get a Subaru WRX for significantly less as well.

• August 7, 2013 at 17:57

True…may as well get a Audi TTRS or BMW 135is.

• August 17, 2013 at 18:33

Good review. Yawn for car. $36,000 Golf R is barely quicker than $27,000 GTI? Why? Painfully, you can’t even turn off the stability control in the Golf R. Guess R stands for “Restrained.” I like VWs, have owned several but there's a problem: they're not actually fast. I just bought a 2013 Ford Focus ST (252 HP and 270 Torque, sounds great, has black, leather Recaro sport seats) and even though it’s FWD and cost thousands less, it out powers and outruns the Golf R. Sorry VW, Ford earned my money.

• August 31, 2013 at 19:28

I wish the VW GTI or Golf were more wider. By the way I hate when MEN don't Wear BELTS.

• August 31, 2013 at 19:29

Good that this idiot is not a GYM TEACHER AT Middle school!

• October 20, 2013 at 04:37

Which is typically what I hear from GTI owners who wish they could afford an R.

It isn't overpriced if people are paying money for it, it's simply basic economics. After an ECU upgrade and new intake I'm pushing 310+ HP and blowing the doors off most cars.

• October 20, 2013 at 04:38

It's not simple like that when you're dealing with VW heads. (I happen to be one myself.)

😀

• October 21, 2013 at 05:20

I used to be a dub head. I owned an 86 GTi, a 82 Scirocco and a 92 Jetta. The A2 cars wore me out. After the constant repairs on the A2s I kinda chilled on the VW scene. My Scirocco was not bad. Sold it because I could not find parts for it here where I live and prices for parts out of state were very high. Then I discovered TTTuning AFTER I sold the Scirocco….I was hella mad. Dubs still catch my eye when they roll by.

• October 22, 2013 at 19:32

That's about how much a stock STI makes…for the same price.

• December 12, 2013 at 01:45

VW Golf is the reason other companies make hatchbacks.

• December 25, 2013 at 06:07

This guy does excellent reviews. Spot on with his analysis on the R!

• February 27, 2014 at 23:15

i LOVE the fact that this is AWD. I think its the best part of the car actually. as for the head unit goes, id take the rcd510 over the rns315 anyway (thats what i did in my own VW) but yes the rns510 is the best of the best

• October 12, 2014 at 00:34

33,000! that's crazy I always thought golfs were supposed to be low market cars you know 15k-25k. I guess you really pay for that AWD and good performance

• January 26, 2015 at 09:01

for that money, lancer evo seems a better choice

• July 31, 2016 at 01:15

"they also got a 4 door; that doesnt make sense to me with a Golf R, but its your money" ……aaand then Volkswagen releases the new "R", and only offer a 4 door in the USA…. WTF VW !?!??!

• January 30, 2019 at 22:48

Get to Fuk am I watching a review with a man wearing trousers that high ! Fuking things got altitude sickness they that high !