We played with a working Apple Watch

After months of anticipation, we’ve finally gotten to play with a working Apple Watch.

Check out our full video catalog: http://goo.gl/lfcGfq
Visit our playlists: http://goo.gl/94XbKx
Like The Verge on Facebook: http://goo.gl/2P1aGc
Follow on Twitter: http://goo.gl/XTWX61
Follow on Instagram: http://goo.gl/7ZeLvX
Read More: http://www.theverge.com

43 thoughts on “We played with a working Apple Watch

• April 1, 2015 at 19:27

clunky piece of garbage! Moto360 works much faster and with less complication. Please apple, stick to making laptops!

• April 1, 2015 at 22:18

827 dislike really show how people just hate for no reason. I mean c'mon what did the guy do? I see this dude in the comment section saying " worst product ever" and he got hundreds of like. Wow. I am a tech enthusiast. I love gadgets. I owe a lot of them. From smartphone to computer. Trust me this watch is not the worse product I seen. Not from Apple. People if u hate something , hate it for a reason. Don't just do it cuz it doesn't fit Ur lifestyle or u can't afford.

• April 2, 2015 at 10:34

Some people are just mad about dissing the watch like that all because they're poor and can't afford it.

Well Boo-FUCKING-hoo…

• April 2, 2015 at 23:15

Consumers don't know what a Smart Watch is.

I've worn my Pebble for two years now (on to my second since the ePaper displays keep dying, now starting to garble on my second one) and very rarely has anyone in public shown an interest in it unless they too have a Pebble.

I'm sold on the idea of a Smart Watch: it's exceptionally useful.

But since late last year, and more and more recently, I constantly get asked by shop keepers, customers in retail where I work, and even strangers in line "Hey, is that the Apple watch?"

No, it isn't.

I have to explain its a similar thing but older, black and white but all week battery life and totally waterproof. Then the usual reaction is "ahh, that's cool…" and they lose interest.

I've seen Pebbles here in public in Adelaide Australia, I've never seen any Android wear devices though, only in stores. A family member has a Gear S though.

Apple watch will be the smartwatch for the masses. Like it or loathe it, come back in one year and comment and tell me I'm wrong.

There is a reason it's not called Apple Smart Watch.

• April 3, 2015 at 00:01

For all the people hating on apple because they have yet again nothing better to do. Let me explain something to you. It's okay if you don't like anything apple sends out. That's okay, but when you sit there and take the time to bitch about it on everything they make.. Seriously, you have no life. My experience with apple has been different for the most part. I love everything I've gotten from them. My experience with android is poor. With apple it's way better. That's just me, but I don't sit here and go to android and bitch about every phone and device they make. Because I don't care.

• April 4, 2015 at 08:01

And the difference between using this and your iPhone is what exactly? Lol I think to pay all that money for a watch that doesn't even come close to what your phone does is pretty dumb. I mean really it takes 30 seconds to pull your phone out of your pocket I mean honestly.

• April 4, 2015 at 12:58

Design-wise: too kiddish for my taste.
    Doesn't offer anything special.
    Last for less than a day.
    Total flop.

• April 5, 2015 at 13:03

I wanna see techrax smash one of these Apple watches

• April 6, 2015 at 04:54

Looks like crap on your wrist. Only brainwashed Apple fans buys this ugly.

• April 7, 2015 at 09:17

Title…. as opposed to playing with a broken one, which assuming there will be a lot of considering how pissed off people will be when they realise their bank balance has just been shafted.

• April 7, 2015 at 15:27

If you have a iphone then what is the point of buying this?

• April 7, 2015 at 16:33

what about battery life on the apple watch?! i tell you something, and i'm a straight shooter, this is worrying, yet another gadget to charge everyday – not on my watch

• April 7, 2015 at 16:49

Along with every new apple device there's plenty of hate. These same haters will stand in line and buy apple products. If you don't like apple or their product, why search them on YouTube just to make negative comments? Are your lives that boring?

• April 7, 2015 at 18:28

Why is everyone arguing about whether its worth the price they are asking? Everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. If you don't like it don't buy it. If you want a cheaper version go for the sport. If that is too expensive still, get an android and an android compatible smart watch.

• April 7, 2015 at 19:56

It looks like it came from the 90's. Also, it looks like one of those cheap watches you would buy as a kid (especially with that "crown").

And then the UI looks like it was taken from the iPhone 2.

• April 7, 2015 at 21:30

Why is there so much dislike for the apple watch (besides the cost and battery)

• April 7, 2015 at 22:48

So did the Uber cab arrive in 2 minutes time?

• April 8, 2015 at 00:31

oh so great until it runs out power !
    oh yah just put on the charger like your phone 52 time or more a year and forget it  on charger so you have no watch now

• April 8, 2015 at 07:44

If this was made by Samsung no one would even care. But just because this is Apple people are willing to give it a chance

• April 8, 2015 at 15:57

I would totally buy this for $199! But $599? HA that's a joke.

• April 8, 2015 at 22:07

Well it's a nice looking watch no doubt, but do we really need on of this or any other smart watches out there? I will probably buy a mechanical water resistant classic style men watch instead

• April 9, 2015 at 02:14

Honestly that shit looks like a replica from China! That black boarder around the watch is UNACCEPTABLE! Screen resolution looks disgusting! If that's the apple watch Steve Jobs is rolling over in his mf grave! Smdh

• April 9, 2015 at 19:50

Sure it's a status gimmick, but that UI is about the best I've seen. Price is again ridiculous. You can get some serious smart watch, with TF-cards, GSM, camera etc. for 100 bucks.
    But for Apple, if the price was lower, or if there were loads of features the device wouldn't be so attractive.
    Smart watches will not take over for public until they've self-sustaining battery. That's the key thing.

• April 10, 2015 at 09:17

Why buy a watch that has to be connected to your phone? When your phone already have the time, apps and some more things like that. It doesn't make any sense.

• April 14, 2015 at 18:58

That watch would look so much better, and have such a better battery life if it had an OLED screen on it. Most of the backgrounds on this thing are black – saving you battery.

• April 15, 2015 at 13:26

Smart watches are a solution to a problem that didn't exist.
    No one has ever said…
    My smart phone would be better if it were 1.6 inches
    My watch would be better if I had to charge it daily instead of once a decade.
    I need another USB charging cable on my night stand
    My style is wearing a watch that looks like a miniature iphone 3
    This Movado doesn't work with Android.
    This Omega is 4th gen, its obsolete.

• April 16, 2015 at 13:01

Not for me. I don't like the square face I prefer round faces. If the moto 360 worked for iPhone that's where I'd spend my money. But I just don't like how Apple have done it. And don't get me started on the scrolling thing